Friday, March 20, 2009

This may keep my sanity...

... or what's left of it!! There are more times than not that I am on my own with the kids. Things are often busy, busy, busy so I have started doing a few new things with the kids. I was inspired by my sister Lindsay who has had Liam, my nephew, making his own lunches since he was in kindergarten. I decided that the time is now to have the kids do the same! So in January I announced to Noah, June & Adam that they are officially in charge of making their own lunches. They were thrilled! (I was too!!) It has been so nice to have them doing this... I don't have to do the work & they get to pick whatever they want to eat (of course I supervise so that they don't eat junk everyday!). The best part is that there are no more 'I don't want to eat that' fights and that the kids are actually EATING what's in their lunches! Whooo!! Good times! :)

Photobucket

Here's Noah trying not to smile... he was grinning from ear to ear, but then he realized I was going to take a picture...

Photobucket

The other thing I am trying now is to have the kids choose a meal a week. I thought of this because June wants to eat tacos EVERY day and would often be upset if we weren't eating tacos. So I made a schedule: June picks on Monday, Mom on Tuesday, Adam chooses on Wednesday, Noah chooses on Thursday and we always (most always) have pizza on Fun-Friday and then the weekend is a free for all... we can eat whatever we feel like. I didn't add Bryce to the schedule because he's away right now & he's easy going anyways... he'll eat whatever I make. (Good man! Love him!) I am also trying to have the kids help make their meals on their meal day. (or at least run & get the ingredients) I think it will be a good opportunity for them to learn how to cook. Maybe one day this will pay off & they will pick the meal & make it without me!! Here's to hoping!!

June's first Monday meal... guess what it was? Tacos! Surprise, surprise!

Photobucket

So far things are working out~ although the boys have been asking for waffles and eggs & toast alot. I now have put a cap on the 'breakfast dinner' requests. No more than one breakfast dinner or taco dinner per week. We'll see how that goes. I think I may make up a list of meals for them to choose from, or to at least help them think of what they may want. I am also hoping that it will help me spend a little less money when I grocery shop... buying what we need for the week as opposed to buying what I may need.

Bryce has been away for a couple weeks... it has been helpful to have the kids helping out when I have to wear both the mom & dad hat. I hope doing these things will help keep what's left of my sanity, and more importantly, teach my children some new life skills.

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous ideas! I need to get the kids planning dinner... if only they could cookt too! Hope all is well, miss you. What are you doing next Tuesday? Let's chat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... I wish mine could cook already... that's why I'm trying to start now... plant the seeds and harvest later! ;) I miss you too! Netx Tuesday, I'm home during the day & I have YW's in the evening. We should chat. I still think we should plan a run away weekend... we need to think on that! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart ideas! I'll have to start getting the children involved in menu planning with me also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! We come up with a weekly menu and grocery list. I have a giant white board on the wall in my kitchen and we have an ongoing grocery list on it that we just finish once the menu is made. I save a lot of money at the store by only shopping the list. I also put the menu up on it and I always ask the kids for help and suggestions when I do up the menu. I hadn't thought of giving them their own day though. Smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart idea! I am going to start this - soon, really!

    ReplyDelete